Opening Speech of IUFRO President
IUFRO President Risto Seppälä, Finland, welcomed the delegates to the Congress in the Opening Ceremony on Monday, 8 August 2005.
Find his speech here.
Speech of the President Elect at the Closing Ceremony
President Elect Professor Don Koo Lee, Republic of Korea, addressed the delegates during the Closing Ceremony of the Congress.
Please find his message here.
Find more than 150 pages of information about the Congress: ceremonies, scientific programme, special events, tours, the Congress evaluation...
Click here to download!
The abstracts of all Congress sessions were published as a special volume of the International Forestry Review and distributed at the Congress. The volume can be downloaded here: Congress Abstracts
The keynote speakers were:
Ariel E Lugo, Puerto Rico: "Conservation challenges to tropical forestry"
Eugene van As, South Africa: "The importance of wood science and forest science in helping developing countries develop viable forest industries"
Joseph Gosnell, Canada: "Harvesting and management of natural resources under the Nisga's final agreement"
Lisa Sennerby-Forsse, Sweden: "The role of science in developing sound environmental policies that transcend national boundaries"
Tricia Caswell, Austrialia: "The contribution of forest industries to global sustainability"
President's Discussion: Research to Cope with Global Change
Wednesday, 10 August 2005, 13:30 – 15:30 hrs.
Presentations in the President's Discussion were made by:
- Peter Mayer, Austria, Executive Secretary, IUFRO: – Global Situation and Trends in Forest-Related Research
- Joseph R. Cobbinah, Ghana, Director General, Forest Research Institute: – Research to Cope with Global Changes: Issues, Challenges and Opportunities for Africa
- Razak Mohd. Abd. Ali, Malaysia, Director General, FRIM: – Forestry Research to Cope with Global Changes – The South East Asian Scenario
- Lisa Sennerby-Forsse, Sweden, Secretary General to The Swedish Research Council Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning: - Forest Research Issues in the Nordic Countries
- José J. Campos, Costa Rica, CATIE: – Forest Research Issues in Latin America
- Thorry Gunnersen, Australia, Chair of Forest and Wood Products Research and Development Corporation: – Australian Approaches to Industry Partnerships in Forest Industries Research
Please find the Report of the President's Discussion here.
Wednesday, 10 August 2005, 16:00 – 17:30 hrs.
Directors and heads of forest research and education organizations met on Wednesday, 10 August 2005, to discuss common challenges and problems and to deliberate the future cooperation of forest research and education organizations. The Directors’ Forum was the first of its kind of a global scope. It was hosted jointly by IUFRO, CSIRO and the Congress Organizing Committee and chaired by Dr. Colin Dyer (Institute of Commercial Forestry Research, South Africa).
Presentations were made by:
- Dr. Harald Mauser, Head, Austrian Federal Research and Training Centre for Forests, Natural Hazards and Landscape (BFW), Austria: – Introduction: European collaboration
- Dr. David Kaimowitz, Director General, Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR), Indonesia: – Future of Tropical Forests, Old and New: Linking Science, Markets and People
- Dr. Ann M. Bartuska, Deputy Chief, USDA Forest Service, USA: – Emerging Themes for Natural Resources Research and Sustainability in the United States
- Dr. Rick Ede, Chief, CSIRO Forestry and Forest Products, Australia: – Ensis – Joining Forces for Trans-National Benefit
- Dr. James Lynch, UK Forestry Commission, Chief Executive, Forest Research, United Kingdom: – Forestry, Biological Resource Management and OECD
Please find the Report of the Directors' Forum here.
Decisions of the International Council
In its two meetings during the Congress week, the International Council, took important decisions:
The New Team
- President: Don Koo Lee, Republic of Korea
- Vice-President Policy: John Innes, Canada
- Vice-President Science: Niels Elers Koch, Denmark
The New Board
- Division 1: Björn Hånell, Sweden
- Division 2: Bailian Li, United States
- Division 3: Hans Rudolf Heinimann, Switzerland
- Division 4: Margarida Tomé, Portugal
- Division 5: Dave Cown, New Zealand (Cathy Wang, China-Taipei)
- Division 6: Perry Brown, United States
- Division 7: Mike Wingfield, South Africa
- Division 8: Alex Mosseler, Canada
General Board Members:
- Mohammed Ellatifi, Morocco
- Vitor Hoeflich, Brazil
- Roberto Ipinza, Chile
- Su See Lee, Malaysia
- Shirong Liu, China
- Tohru Nagashizuka, Japan
- Piotr Paschalis-Jakubowicz, Poland
- Heinrich Spiecker, Germany
- Victor K. Teplyakov, Russia
Venue of Congress 2010
Seoul, Republic of Korea
Honours and Awards presented during the Congress
IUFRO is proud to announce that Honorary Membership was conferred upon three current and former officeholders:
- Jeffery Burley, Immediate Past President
- Heinrich Schmutzenhofer, former Executive Secretary
- Les Whitmore, former Vice-President Administration
Best Poster Award
The winners of the Best Poster Awards are:
- Division 1: Carl Höcke, Freiburg University, Germany
Poster #669: "Long-term effects of forest fertilization on ground vegetation in the northern Black Forest, Germany"
- Division 2: Tasmien Horsley, Terry Stanger, Sappi Forests Research; S. Johnson, University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Poster #18: "Overcoming biological barriers to hybrid seed production in Eucalyptus"
- Division 3: John Yarie, University of Alaska, Fairbanks, Alaska, USA
Poster #473: "Decomposition of coarse woody debris in the boreal forest of interior Alaska"
- Division 4 & 6: Johanna Pohjola, Finnish Forest Research Institute; L. Valsta, J. Mononen, University of Helsinki, Finland
Poster #682: "Economic analysis of carbon sequestration on stand level"
- Division 5:
Nigel Lim, Y. K. Pek, Sarawak Forestry Corporation, Malaysia
Poster #16: "Evaluation of five reforestation species for manufacture of oriented strand board"
Chih-Lung Cho, S.-Y. Wu, S.-U. Yeh, National Ilan University, China-Taipei
Poster #799: "Improvement of the acoustic properties of Sitka spruce with chemical treatment"
- Division 7: Eugene Hannon, N.T. Kittelson, J. J. Brown, Washington State University, USA
Poster #836: "Managing intensively grown, irrigated hybrid poplars based on clonal susceptibility to Poplar/Willow borer Cryptorhynchus lapathi (Curculionidae)"
- Division 8: Sophie Zechmeister-Boltenstern, M. Pfeffer; Forest Research Centre; A. Bruckner, University of Life Sciences; W. Foissner, University of Salzburg; E. Hackl, A. Sessitsch, Austrian Research Centres; N. Milasowszky, W. Waitzbauer, University of Vienna, Austria
Poster #521: "Soil biodiversity and nutrient turnover in different forest types of Central Europe"
- Task Force – The Role of Forests in Carbon Cycles, Sequestration and Storage: Michelle Slaney, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden; J. Medhurst, CRC/CSIRO Forestry, Australia; S. Linder, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden; G. Wallin, Goteborg University, Sweden
Poster #210: "Spring phenology of Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.) at ambient and elevated [CO2] and temperature"
Distinguished Service Award
IUFRO's Distinguished Service Award was given to:
- Gary Bacon, Chair of the Congress Organizing Committee
- John Innes, Chair of the Congress Scientific Committee
- Keith Rennolls, Deputy 4.03.00 – Informatics, modelling and statistics
- Eric Teissier du Cros, IUFRO Vice-President Science
IUFRO World Congress Host Scientific Award
Scientific Achievement Award
Outstanding Doctoral Research Award
IUFRO Student Award for Excellence in Forest Science
For more information please download here the special issue of IUFRO News dedicated to the winners of these awards.
- Number of participants: 2,100
- Number of countries: 96
- Number of presentation: 700
- Number of posters: 700
Please click here to see the list of Congress delegates.