Activities and events
The Research Group 5.12 will hold workshops on the topics of ecosystem services, life cycle assessment and forest certification at least once every 2 years, with strong possibility of once a year. The near future workshops which are as follows:
- Technical Session of "Impact of Forest Certification on Sustainable Forest Management" (tentative title), co-organized by the IUFRO Working Party 5.12.02 (Certified Forest Products and Services) and other(s) (to be confirmed) during the 2019 IUFRO World Congress in Curitiba, Brazil from September 29, 2019 to October 5, 2019.
- International Workshop for Certified Forest Products and Sustainable Forestry; Beijing, China; 30 October - 1 November 2018. Website - 1st announcement and Call for Papers - Flyer
- 18th International Symposium on Legal Aspects of European Forest Sustainable Development and Wildlife: Skills and Vocational Training; Chisinau, Republic of Moldova; 11-15 September 2018. Units involved: 5.12.00, 8.02.05, 9.06.00, Joint IUFRO-IFSA Task Force on Forest Education. 1st announcement and Call for Papers - Rationale - 2nd announcement - Report
- Thematic Session of "Certification of Bamboo and Rattan Resources" (tentative title), co-organized by the IUFRO Working Party 5.12.02 (Certified Forest Products and Services), the IUFRO Working Party 5.11.05 (Bamboo and Rattan), and the Chinese Academy of Forestry during the Global Bamboo and Rattan Congress 2018 at the China National Convention Centre, Beijing, China on June 25-27, 2018
- 5.12.01 Working Party previous activities:
Technical Session, 2014 World Congress of the International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO). Together with Dr. Adam Taylor, University of Tennessee-Knoxville, we serve as organizers and moderators for the technical session titled Evaluation of environmental impacts of production and use of wood products and wood energy at the IUFRO World Congress, Salt Lake City, UT; October 5-11, 2014.
Special Session. LCA XV Conference. Extending the LCA concepts of sustainable forest product utilization. In conjunction with the IUFRO LCA Working Party. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. October 6-8, 2015.
Technical Session. 2016. Together with Drs. Hongmei Gu (US Forest Products Laboratory, USA), Arno Frühwald (University of Hamburg, Germany), and Wang Zhen (Beijing Forestry University, China). In conjunction with the IUFRO LCA Working Party. IUFRO Regional Congress for Asia and Oceania. Session 78: Linking Life-Cycle Assessment to Sustainable Forest and Forest Product Carbon Management Activities. Beijing, China. October 24-27, 2016.
Technical Session. 2017. Together with Dr. Arno Frühwald (University of Hamburg, Germany), and Mr. James Salazar (Athena Sustainable Material Institute, Canada). In conjunction with the IUFRO LCA Working Party. IUFRO Division 5 Conference. Session: 'Linking life cycle assessment to carbon accounting and multi-criteria indicators for sustainable forest products. Vancouver, Canada. June 12-16, 2017.
Technical Session 4F of "Impact of Forest Certification on Sustainable Forest Management", co-organized by Robert L. Deal (USDA Forest Service) and Wenming Lu (Chinese Academy of Forestry) during the IUFRO 2017 Division 5 Conference in Vancouver, Canada on June 12-16, 2017
Previous event: session at the LCA VX Conference in Vancouver, Canada, October 6-8, 2015
Technical Sessions A05, A06, and A07 of "Promoting Sustainable Forest Management through Market Based Instrument of Forest Certification in the Asia Pacific Region", organized by Wenming Lu (Chinese Academy of Forestry) during the IUFRO Regional Congress for Asia and Oceania 2016 in Beijing, China on October 24-27, 2016
Scientific Session F-06 of "Impact of Forest Certification on Sustainable Forest Management", co-organized by Wenming Lu (Chinese Academy of Forestry), Robert L. Deal (US Forest Services) and John Innes (University of British Columbia, Canada) during the 2014 IUFRO World Congress in Salt Lake City, the United States on October 5-11, 2014
International Workshop on Forest Certification, organized by Wenming Lu (Chinese Academy of Forestry), in Beijing, China on September 16-17, 2014
- 2012 IUFRO All-Division 5 Conference; Lisbon, Portugal; 8-13 July 2012. Business meeting: Report
- The IUFRO 5.12 Research Group sponsored three sessions at the All Division 5 meeting in Taipei, Taiwan during 10/29 – 11/2, 2007. These sessions are entitled:
1. Emerging themes for sustainable utilization of forest products.
2. Integrating forest products with ecological services.
3. Issues in sustainable utilization of forest prodcuts.
- The IUFRO Div. 5.12 Research Group was co-sponsoring an IUFRO Scientific Conference entitled "Forest Growth and Timber Quality: Crown Models and Simulation Methods for Sustainable Forest Management".
This conference was held during August 7-10, 2007 in Portland, Oregon, United States 97232. Additional information about the conference is at http://www.westernforestry.org/crownmodels/crownmodels.htm
- The IUFRO 5.12 Research Group sponsored two sessions at the IUFRO World Congress in Brisbane, Australia during August 2005. The tiles of these sessions were: 1) Wood Production within Sustainable Forest Management, and 2) Emerging Issues for Sustainable Forest Management.
- Forestry Woodchain - Quantifying and forecasting quality from forest to end product; Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK; 8-30 September 2004
Send comments to Richard Bergman (Coordinator)