Activities and events
TF Joint IUFRO-IFSA Task Force on Forest Education
|Fellowship Application/Proposal Writing Workshop - Pre-Congress Event at the XV World Forestry Congress||Seoul, South Korea|
Contact: Sheila Ward, Email: email@example.com
|Social Entrepreneurship Training in the Forest Introduction to Nature Based Solutions - Pre-Congress Event at the XV World Forestry Congress||Seoul, South Korea|
Contact: Sandra Rodríguez-Pineros, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fellowship Application/Proposal Writing Workshop - Pre-Congress Event at the XV World Forestry Congress; Seoul, South Korea; 1 May 2022, 10:00-13:00 KST. Flyer
- Social Entrepreneurship Training in the Forest Introduction to Nature Based Solutions - Pre-Congress Event at the XV World Forestry Congress; Seoul, South Korea; 1 May 2022, 14:00-17:00 KST. Flyer
- ¿Qué hacer para enfrentar el cambio climático? Retos y oportunidades; en linea; 9 de septiembre de 2021, 8:00 a.m. a 11:00 a.m. hora colombiana (GMT-5). Agenda - Report
- International Conference on Forest Education; Rome, Italy; 22-24 June 2021. Units involved: 6.09.00, Joint IUFRO-IFSA Task Force on Forest Education. Conference homepage
- Online event “Global status and needs for strengthening forest education - charting a path forward“; 12 October 2020, held as a part of the 7th World Forest Week - a series of meetings and events hosted by FAO and its partner organizations and institutions – held back-to-back with COFO25. Session recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGANXf2DWls&feature=youtu.be
- Lanzamiento de la Guía de Emprendimiento Forestal dentro del Seminario Latinoamericano de Educación para Impulsar el Emprendimiento Rural / Launch of the Forest Entrepreneurship Guide within the Latin American Education Seminar to promote rural entrepreneurship; 7 October 2020, 15:00 (hora del Centro de México).
Watch video of lauch: https://www.facebook.com/emprendedorforestal/videos/688811261986229
Download Guía: https://www.iufro.org/fileadmin/material/science/task-forces/tf-forest-education/Guia-Emprendimiento-Forestal.pdf
- El forestal y la investigación; Charla de la Dra. Sandra Rodríguez en "Charlas Bosques Emprendimiento"; 6 May 2020, 18:00 (hora del centro de México). https://youtu.be/dRJwAiItzg8
- 22nd Session of the African Forestry and Wildlife Commission & 6th African Forestry and Wildlife Week; Skukuza National Park, Mpumalanga, South Africa. 9-13 March 2020. Sessions supported by JTF - Report
- Sessions at the XXV IUFRO World Congress; Curitiba, Brazil; 29 September - 5 October 2019. Report
- SILVA Network Annual Conference: The Bologna Principles and Higher Forest Education – Lessons Learned and Challenges Ahead; Tharandt, Germany; 19-21 June 2019. Units involved: 6.09.00, Joint IUFRO-IFSA Task Force on Forest Education. Conference homepage
- Workshop on Sustainable Forest Management and Forest Education; and Interactive workshop session: Problem based learning; as well as Forum on Forest Education; during Adaptive Management for Forested Landscapes in Transformation; Posadas, Misiones, Argentina; 1-5 October 2018. Units involved: 8.00.00, 8.01.02, Joint IUFRO-IFSA Task Force on Forest Education. Conference homepage - Flyer - In the Media - Report
- Workshop on Sustainable Forest Management and Forest Education; and Interactive workshop session: Problem based learning: topic of Human and and Wildlife Conflict; during 18th International Symposium on Legal Aspects of European Forest Sustainable Development and Wildlife: Skills and Vocational Training; Chisinau, Republic of Moldova; 11-15 September 2018. Units involved: 5.12.00, 8.02.05, 9.06.00, Joint IUFRO-IFSA Task Force on Forest Education. 1st announcement and Call for Papers - Rationale - 2nd announcement - Report
- 2nd Webinar of the Educators' Forum; online; 15 February 2018. Webinar website
- Training on Forest Governance at the X Congreso Latinoamericano de Derecho Forestal Ambiental Bosques Gente Y Paz, Una Oportunidad para la Integración Latinoamericana; Bogotá, Colombia; 10 November 2016. Training flyer - Report
Interviews (videos in m4v format): Interview 1 - Interview 2 - Interview 3 - Interview 4
- IUFRO Regional Congress for Asia and Oceania; Beijing, China; 24-27 October 2016. Call for Abstracts
The Joint Task Force organizes a session on "Forest education in a changing environment". This session is designed to sharing and discussing higher forest education teaching and learning. We welcome research papers and case studies, on topics related to e-learning, latest education tools and technologies, communication, professional competencies, professional certification, new perspectives on education, learning for climate change, educational policy, curriculum development, and other topics related to forest education.
- SILVA Network annual conference: Forest Science Education: Self-study and activation of the learner; Tartu, Estonia; 21-23 September 2016. Conference homepage – 1st announcement
- ICA - Edu Colloquium: "E-Learning in the life sciences: exploiting open source materials in the curriculum"; University of Helsinki, Finland; 16-17 June 2016. Units involved: 6.09.00, Joint IUFRO-IFSA Task Force on Forest Education. Colloquium homepage - 2nd Call
- Kick-off Meeting "Global Outlook on Forest Education" (GOFE); University of Helsinki, Finland; 14 June 2016.
The work of the Joint Task Force is divided into 4 Work-Packages (WPs):
I. Global Outlook on forest education (WP 1)
The objectives of the research project are
- to analyse the possibilities of new learning methods and approaches
- to make a comprehensive gap analysis using up-to-date scientific methods
- to publish the results, including a policy report, and facilitate a dialogue between policy-makers and educational institutions
Rekola, M., Abbas, D., Bal, T., Burns, J., Lackner, M., Rodriguez, S., Sharik, T. 2017. Eds. Global Outlook on Forest Education (GOFE) A Pilot Study Report. https://foresteducation.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/gofe_final_report.pdf
II. Higher forest education interactive tool (WP 2)
In collaboration with GFIS, an online tool highlighting forest education initiatives will be launched.
Objectives of this work-package are
- to promote forest education activities online
- to amalgamate initiatives listing available forestry programmes worldwide
- to enhance forestry students’ mobility
III. Trainings for forestry students (WP 3)
The increasing demand for benefits and services of forest ecosystems suppose an increase in new knowledge and competencies of future forest professionals. Although there have been changes in forest curricula around the world, there are still gaps that need to be covered.
Objectives of this work-package are
- to provide opportunities for students to increase knowledge of forest related topics to attend current and future challenges in regard to forest conservation and management
- to acquire state-of-the-art knowledge on forest related issues
IV. Encouragement of students' involvement in IUFRO events and counterbalance of extracurricular students’ activities (WP 4)
The objective of the work-package is to promote and systematize students’ involvement during gatherings of experts and professionals. Our goal is to also advocate for counterbalancing the effort and engagement of students in international processes and events with university credits. Therefore, a concept for evaluation and guidelines for involving students in the various meetings of IUFRO units will be defined.