3.08.00 - Small-scale forestry
IUFRO International Conference on Small-Scale Forestry: Small-Scale Forestry and Modern Society
Tartu, Estonia; 22-26 August 2023
Topics of the Conference
- New directions for forest and environmental legislation against the background of global climate change
- Private forests and climate change: bioenergy production versus carbon sinks
- Political, economic, and practical issues of carbon sequestration in small-scale and community forestry
- Family and/or farm forestry
- Knowledge and wisdom of traditional forest practices in rural areas
- Roles and opportunities of forest owners' cooperatives
- Operation of small-scale sawmills and processing plants
- Promotion of non-timber forest products
- Forests for the future: small-scale products and ecosystem services
- Tourist and recreational use of forests
- Impact of forest and environmental protection laws and regulations on small-scale forestry
- Ecological and social restrictions imposed on small forest owners
- Comparative studies of forest and land related legislation in different countries.
- 10 January, 2023: First announcement and call for papers
- 10 March, 2023: Deadline for abstract submitted of first call
- 30 April, 2023: Notification of paper acceptance for first call
- 1 May, 2023: Registration opens
- 1 May, 2023: Second call for papers
- 31 May, 2023: Deadline for abstracts submitted of second call
- 31 May, 2023: Early bird registration closes
- 15 June, 2023: Deadline for submitting abstract changes
- 15 August, 2023: Registration closes
- 22-24 August, 2023: Conference
- 25-26 August, 2023: Post-conference excursion
Christoph Hartebrodt, Germany
Brett Butler, United States
Teppo Hujala, Finland
Ryoko Ishizaki, Japan
Spela Pezdevsek Malovrh, Slovenia
TOR Terms of reference
Forest operations technologies and systems for small-scale, nonindustrial forests. Links to location-specific problems of forests under fragmented owner-structure and/or special property rights arrangements (community allotments, common pool arrangements, etc.). Strong links to institutional arrangements (institutional economics, policy sciences).
The purpose of the IUFRO Unit 3.08.00 "Small-Scale Forestry" is
- to exchange information on research problems, ongoing research efforts and research results related to the management of small-scale non-industrial private forest woodlots.
The history of the Unit started at the IUFRO XVIII World Congress in 1986 when a project group on "Small-Scale Forestry" was founded as a co-operative effort of the Divisions 3, 4 and 6. The main topics of the contributions presented at the meetings have dealt with economic and policy issues and also technical aspects of small-scale forestry.
The Unit is also publishing the Small-scale Forestry Journal which is now available in both electronic and print format from Springer.
State of Knowledge
- HYTTINEN, P. 2004. Small-scale Forestry. In Encyclopedia of Forest Sciences, J. BURLEY, J. EVANS, and J. YOUNGQUIST, Editors. Elsevier Academic Press: Amsterdam, etc. p. 663-666.
|IUFRO International Conference on Small-Scale Forestry: Small-Scale Forestry and Modern Society||Tartu, Estonia|