Activities and events
- Preparing Europe for invasion by the beetles emerald ash borer and bronze birch borer, two major tree-killing pests; Vienna, Austria; 1-4 October 2018. Conference homepage – PREPSYS project
- EU COST Action FP1002 PERMIT (Pathway Evaluation and pest Risk Management In Transport): the Action which deals with pathways for international movement of pests (both insects and pathogens) and what generic risk mitigation measures can be applied to reduce pest transfers. We are also looking at how people through their behaviour and perceptions can influence pest risks. More information can be found on the Action website (http://www.forestry.gov.uk/fr/permit).
For those readers in COST countries (see http://www.cost.eu/about_cost/cost_countries) there is the opportunity of Short Term Scientific Missions (STSMs) for Early Stage Researchers (i.e. within 8 years of post doctorate or equivalent qualification) to spend time in other COST countries to gain experience and work on topics related to the aims of the Action. Essentially, a grant of up to 2500 Euros can be offered to fund travel and subsistence. More details can be found on the Action website or by emailing me or the STSM coordinator, Dr Rimvys Vasaitis in at SLU in Sweden (Rimvys.Vasaitis(at)slu.se). - Officeholders of Units 7.03.04, 7.03.12 and 7.03.13 are involved in PERMIT.
- Population Dynamics and Integrated Control of Forest Defoliating and Other Insects; Sopot, Poland; 28 September - 2 October 2015. Units involved: 7.03.07, 7.03.06, 7.03.13. Conference homepage - 2nd announcement - Report
Photo credit: Field trip to the Kartuzy Forest District and the Centre of Education and Regional Promotion in Szymbark. Photo: Arkadiusz Marszalkowski
- Joint meeting of WP 7.03.05 and WP 7.03.07; Banff, Alberta Canada; 16–20 September 2013. Conference homepage - Report
- Population dynamics, biological control, and integrated management of forest insects; Eberswalde, Germany; 16-21 September 2010. IUFRO Units involved: 7.03.06, 7.03.07, 7.03.13. Conference homepage - Report
Photo 1. Dr. Eckehard Brockerhoff, new leader of the IUFRO Research Group 7.03.00 "Entomology", planting a commemorative juniper tree during the field trip (photo: T. Kolling)
Photo 2. Dr. Mike McManus receiving the Varley award from Dr. Sandy Liebhold, Coordinator of Division 5 (photo: N. Kirichenko)
Photo 3. Participants during the field trip (photo: T. Kolling)
Send comments to Brett Hurley (Coordinator)