9.01.02 - Communication and public relations
Established in 2011, the Communication and Public Relations Working Party seeks to improve the ability of IUFRO members to communicate science. This Working Party facilitates the exchange of practical applications, existing knowledge, and new research in the fields of communication and public relations.
Building upon the popular 'Communicating Forest Science' manual published almost a decade ago, the IUFRO Working Party on Communications and Public Relations has set to revisit this precious resource to make it aligned with the latest trends. The new manual aims at equipping scientists and science communicators with knowledge on communication theory and practice. Drawing upon the digital tools, the revamped manual will be exclusively available online thus giving possibilities to easily link to external resources, embed other digital materials like podcasts and videos and finally make it a living resource to be updated as needed.
The team is looking for additional volunteers to produce the revamped manual in time for the IUFRO Congress in Sep 2024. Ideally, candidates would come from within the IUFRO network or are experienced forest science communicators who know IUFRO. If you are interested, please contact me or any of the working party deputies. We particularly encourage applications from members from the Global South. IUFRO-SPDC will offer a full sponsorship for authors/contributors of the manual who are eligible for SAP for IUFRO Event Participation to attend IUFRO 2024.
MORE INFORMATION ON THE COMMUNICATION AND PUBLIC RELATIONS WORKING PARTY
Working Party Objectives:
- Share communication and public relations knowledge, experiences, and best practices to enhance IUFRO members ability to communicate science and related forest-focused topics.
- Foster the communication efforts of IUFRO scientists including with one another, non-IUFRO scientists, policy makers, and the public.
- Understand communication technology and tool advances that can be applied to communicating science.
- Evaluate effectiveness of science communication techniques in the science-policy interface.
Workplan Through IUFRO 2024 World Congress:
- Update the Communicating Forest Science manual with new case studies and more contemporary information
- Create online mechanisms for engagement between members
- Provide advice to IUFRO members on best practices for communicating forest science using the latest technologies
- Create synergies with other IUFRO units of relevance to the WP
- Prepare a technical session for the IUFRO 2024 World Congress that showcases and models best practices in forest science communication.
Subscribe to the IUFRO Working Party on Communications and Public Relations mailing list here.