Science for Policy
Bio-economy Symposium: Sowing Innovation – Reaping Sustainability; Forests' Crucial Role in a Green Economy
Vienna, Austria, 13–14 April 2015 - Final Announcement
The International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO) is pleased to announce that the Symposium "Sowing Innovation - Reaping Sustainability: Forests' Crucial Role in a Green Economy" will be held in collaboration with the Austrian Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management (BMLFUW) prior to the IUFRO Enlarged Board meeting. The symposium will be part of the Austrian Forest Dialogue (Walddialog).
The Symposium will be held in English. Participation is free of charge. Please note that the number of places is limited. Please register by 31 March by writing to Ms. Astrid Tippel (tippel(at)iufro.org).
Please make sure to bring a valid photo ID for entry into the Ministry buildings!
Monday, 13 April: (BMLFUW, Stubenring 1, Marmorsaal)
- Welcome address by Prof. Mike WINGFIELD, IUFRO President
- Presentation by Dr. Xaver EDELMANN, Founder and President of the World Resources Forum
- Presentation by Dr. Christian HELMENSTEIN, Chief Economist, Federation of Austrian Industries
- Official Opening by Mr. Andrä RUPPRECHTER, Federal Minister of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management, Austria
Moderator: Mr. Gerhard MANNSBERGER, Director General of the Forestry Department, BMLFUW
Following the speeches: Reception hosted by the Austrian Minister responsible for forests
Tuesday, 14 April: (Diplomatic Academy of Vienna, Favoritenstraße 15 a)
- Welcome and introduction by the moderator Prof. Björn HÅNELL (IUFRO Vice-President Divisions)
- Presentations by:
Prof. Lauri HETEMÄKI (European Forest Institute) "The Future of European Forest-Based Sector"
Prof. John INNES (University of British Columbia) and Don ROBERTS (Nawitka Capital Advisors Ltd.) "Investment Opportunities in the Forest-Based Bio-economy"
Prof. Daniela KLEINSCHMIT (Freiburg University) "Governance Perspectives about the Forest Sector in a Bio-economy"
10:45-11:15 Coffee and tea break
11:15-13:15 Panel discussion including following panellists:
- Prof. Lauri HETEMÄKI (European Forest Institute)
- Prof. John INNES (University of British Columbia)
- Prof. Daniela KLEINSCHMIT (Freiburg University)
- Mr. Johan ELVNERT (Forest-based Sector Technology Platform – FTP)
- Prof. Hubert DÜRRSTEIN (University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences - BOKU, Vienna)
- Mr. Gerhard MANNSBERGER (BMLFUW)
Moderator: Dr. Peter MAYER (Director of the Austrian Research Centre for Forests)
13:15-13:30 Wrap-up by moderator and closing remarks by Prof. Mike WINGFIELD, IUFRO President
- vie15-eb-symposium-final-announcement-en.pdf162 Ki
- vie15-eb-symposium-final-announcement-de.pdf163 Ki