Publications and references
Special Issue "Non-Wood Forest Products Management: Inventory, Planning, Governance, Marketing and Trade"
The International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO Units 4.04.04—Sustainable Forest Management Scheduling and 5.11-Non-Wood Forest Products, IUFRO Task Force on Unlocking the Bioeconomy and Non-Timber Forest Products) as well as the 19th Symposium on Systems Analysis in Forest Resources (SSAFR 2021) are sponsoring this Special Issue of Forests (http://www.mdpi.com/journal/forests).
We welcome the submission of manuscripts for publication in this Forests special issue (SI). There are a myriad of opportunities to unlock the full potential of NWFPs, such as creating new knowledge and tools to optimize the sustainable provision and profitability of NWFPs, fostering the development of market conditions for NWFPs, and developing economic and governance strategies for the better management of wild forest products—particularly in low-income countries. Thus, this SI aims at contributing to the dissemination of research endeavors involving the development of models, methods, processes, and decision support tools to address the inventory, planning, harvesting, governance, certification, marketing, and trade of NWFPs. This will be influential to strengthen the NWFP knowledge base and of research strategies to support the full encapsulation of NWFPs in the framework of the sustainable management of forest ecosystems. Papers submitted for publication in this Special Issue will undergo a rigorous peer review process with the aim of prompt and wide dissemination of research results and applications.
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 January 2022.
More information at: https://www.mdpi.com/journal/forests/special_issues/nonwood_forest_products
- Sheppard J.P., Chamberlain J., Agúndez D, Bhattacharya P., Chirwa P.W., Gontcharov A., Sagona W.C.J., Shen H.L., Tadesse W., & Mutke S. (2020). Sustainable Forest Management Beyond the Timber-Oriented Status Quo: Transitioning to Co-production of Timber and Non-wood Forest Products–a Global Perspective.Current Forestry Reports. doi:10.1007/s40725-019-00107-1 open accesss https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs40725-019-00107-1
- Chamberlain, James L.; Emery, Marla R.; Patel-Weynand, Toral. 2018. Assessment of nontimber forest products in the United States under changing conditions. General Technical Report SRS-GTR-232. USDA Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 268p. https://doi.org/10.2737/SRS-GTR-232
The Global NTFP Partnership Strategy
- Non-Timber Forest Products - Traditional Products and Technologies. Proceedings of the IUFRO Division 5 Research Group 5.11 Technical Sessions; 8-13 August 2005; Brisbane, Australia
- Donoghue, E.M.; Benson, G.L.; Chamberlain, J.L., tech. coords. 2004. Sustainable production of wood and non-wood forest products: Proceedings of IUFRO Division 5 Research Groups 5.11 and 5.12, Rotorua, New Zealand, March 11–15, 2003. General Technical Report PNW-GTR-604. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 120 p.
The University of Bio-Bio, Department of Wood Engineering, offers researchers from all areas of wood science and technology the opportunity to publish in English or Spanish free-of-charge in the open-access international journal Maderas-Cienc Tecnol (ISSN 0717-3644 and e-ISSN 0718-221X) which is indexed in ISI-Thomson Reuters, Scopus-Elsevier, Scielo, etc. Link: http://www.revistamaderas.cl/
- Bibliographic database on NTFPs hosted by the Institute for Culture and Ecology (Washington, USA)
- Non Wood Forest Products - FAO Forestry Department
- Non-Timber Forest Products hosted by Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, USA)
- NTFP Exchange hosted by Profound Advisors in Development (Netherlands)
- European Tropical Forest Research Network
- The Global NTFP Partnership website
- http://ntfp.inbar.int/wiki/index.php/Main_PageICIMOD-MAPPA website