Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
IUFRO has established a close collaboration with FAO. A Memorandum of Understanding with FAO was signed already in the year 1947. FAO is recognized in the IUFRO Statutes as one of only two organizations with permanent observer status on the IUFRO Board.
IUFRO has been represented in the biannual sessions of the FAO Committee on Forestry (COFO) and also attends the sessions of FAO Regional Forestry Commission. IUFRO and FAO work closely also in the frame of the Collaborative Partnership on Forests (CPF), chaired by the FAO.
- IUFRO, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) and FAO are jointly organizing an event on the occasion of the International Day of Forests (IDF) 2022 at the Swedish Pavilion at EXPO 2020 in Dubai (held in 2021-2022). The hybrid high-level event “Inspire for the Future – The Role of Forests in Ensuring Sustainable Production and Consumption” will focus on the theme of the IDF 2022 “Forests and Sustainable Production and Consumption,” shedding light on the causal nexus between those two dimensions, while supporting efforts towards implementing SDG 12.
- IUFRO collaborated within the joint IUFRO-ITTO-FAO project “Global forest education platform” and is one of the four co-leads of the newly established CPF Joint Initiative on Forest Education together with FAO, ITTO and CIFOR-ICRAF.
- IUFRO President John Parrotta Chairs the CPF Consultative Group in support of organizing the XV World Forestry Congress in May 2022. In his capacity as Chair of the Consultative Group, John Parrotta also has a seat in the Advisory Committee for the XV World Forestry Congress.
- The IUFRO Task Force on Forests and Water Interactions in a Changing Environment participated in the preparation of a new publication “A Guide to Forest-Water Management” jointly published by FAO, IUFRO and the United States Forest Service. The publication was launched on 25 August 2021 during the World Water Week (news article)
- FAO 7th World Forest Week (5-12 October, 2020)
- IUFRO President J. Parrotta represented IUFRO as a panelist in a virtual session: “The strategic way of integrating forestry into recovery support measures in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Build Back Better with Forests”, 12.11.2020 (recording).
- IUFRO Executive Director A. Buck delivered a statement in a virtual session “Global status and needs for strengthening forest education - charting a path forward”, 12.11.2020 (recording).
Back to: IUFRO's Partners