World Congress 2010
XXIII IUFRO World Congress 2010 - Seoul, Republic of Korea, 23-28 August 2010
"Forests for the Future: Sustaining Society and the Environment"
Congress website: http://www.iufro2010.com/
Welcome Address of Korean President - Opening Speech of IUFRO President - Speech of President Elect - Congress Resolution - Congress Report - Abstracts - Daily Newsletter - Keynote Speeches - President's Discussion - Directors' Forum - Decisions of International Council - Honours and Awards - Media Corner - Congress Statistics - Preparatory Documents - Photo Gallery
Welome Address of Korean President
The President of the Republic of Korea, Mr. Lee Myung-bak, gave a welcome address to the delegates during the Opening Ceremony.
Opening Speech of IUFRO President
IUFRO President Don Koo Lee, Republic of Korea, welcomed the delegates to the Congress in the Opening Ceremony on Monday, 23 August 2010.
Find his speech here.
Find more than 400 pages of information about the Congress: ceremonies, scientific programme, special events, tours, the Congress evaluation...
Click here to download (39 MB!)
The abstracts of all Congress sessions were published as a special volume of the International Forestry Review and distributed at the Congress. The volume can be downloaded here: Congress Abstracts
The keynote speakers were:
Ko Un, Republic of Korea: "An Act of Grace from the Forest: How Is Absolution Possible?"
Frances Seymour, Indonesia: "Title: Forests, Climate Change, and Communities: Making progress up the learning curve"
Jose Joaquin Campos Arce, Costa Rica: "Integrating scales and sectors to foster sustainable livelihoods, landscapes and forests"
Elinor Ostrom, USA: "The potential role of communities in sustainable forest resources"
Peter Shaw Ashton, Britain: "The disastrous trajectory of the rain forests: research imperatives"
Decisions of the International Council
In its two meetings during the Congress week, the International Council, took important decisions:
The New Team
- President: Niels Elers Koch, Denmark
- Vice-President responsible for Divisions: Mike W. Wingfield, South Africa
- Vice-President responsible for Task Forces, Special Programmes, Projects and IUFRO-led Initiatives: Su See Lee, Malaysia
The New Board
- Division 1: Björn Hånell, Sweden
- Division 2: Yousry El-Kassaby, Canada
- Division 3: Hans Rudolf Heinimann, Switzerland
- Division 4: Margarida Tomé, Portugal
- Division 5: Andrew Wong, Malaysia
- Division 6: Tuija Sievänen, Finland
- Division 7: Andrew Liebhold, United States
- Division 8: Jean-Michel Carnus, France
- Division 9: Daniela Kleinschmit, Sweden/Germany
- José Campos, Costa Rica
- Ben Chikamai, Kenya
- Elena Kulikova, Russia
- Shirong Liu, China
- Ulrike Pröbstl, Austria
Venue of Congress 2014:
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Honours and Awards presented during the Congress
IUFRO is proud to announce that Honorary Membership was conferred upon two current and former officeholders:
- Risto Seppälä, Immediate Past President
- Eric Teissier du Cros, former Vice-President of IUFRO
Best Poster Award
The winners of the Best Poster Awards are:
Div 1 / Pifeng Lei, University of Freiburg, Germany
"Belowground niche separation and productivity in tree species mixtures
Div 2 / Yoshihiro Hosoo, Shinshu University, Japan
"Isolation and analysis of a gene encoding a potassium membrane transport protein from Cryptomeria japonica"
Div 4 / Sungho Choi, Korea University, Korea
"Predicting the changes in forest distribution using the thermal and hydrological indices"
Div 5 / Lee Su-Yeon, Seoul National University,
"Analysis of terpenoids released during the drying process of Cryptomeria
Div 6 / Maija Faehnle, Finnish Forest Research Institute, Finland
"Evaluating the use of social information in urban forest planning"
Div 7 / Takahashi Yukiko, The University of Tokyo, Japan
"Genetic diversity of the pathogen of Japanese oak wilt, Raffaelea quercivora, in the gallery bored in an oak tree, and mycaniga of the ambrosia beetle, Platypus quercivorus"
Div 8 / Ahn Young San, Korea Forest Research Institute, Korea
"Historical change in sediment yield in Lake Toro catchment, Kushiro/mire, northern Japan over the past 300 years"
IUFRO World Congress Host Scientific Award
Scientific Achievement Award
Outstanding Doctoral Research Award
IUFRO Student Award for Excellence in Forest Science
For more information please download here the special issue of IUFRO News dedicated to the winners of these awards.
- International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD): IUFRO World Congress Bulletin: A Summary Report
- Bewirtschaftung in Einklang mit den Naturgesetzen; Article published in the Holz-Zentralblatt; written by Marius Barbu, IUFRO 5.05.00
- Südkoreas Holzindustrie von Importholz abhängig; Article published in the Holz-Zentralblatt; written by Marius Barbu, IUFRO 5.05.00
- Number of participants: 2,734
Full registration: 2,381
Daily Registration: 353
- Number of countries: 92
- Countries with the largest representation:
- Republic of Korea: 878 – United States: 164
- Japan: 272 – Indonesia: 99
- China: 214
Number of countries with one delegate: 20
Delegates who traveled the farthest: Uruguay (19,594 km)
- Number of sessions: 170
- Number of oral presentations (in Technical Sessions): 916
- Number of mounted posters: 1,054
- Number of lunch boxes distributed: 4,750 (est.)
- Number of buses used in In-Congress Tours: 96
- Rainfall during the Congress (Mon-Fri., in Seoul): 183.5 mm
Please click here to see the list of Congress delegates.
- Congress Information Package - Congress Registration Package - Congress Trade and Exhibition Package
- Call for Papers (also available in French and Spanish)
- Call for Congress Session Proposals (also available in French and Spanish) - Session Proposal Form
- Email Congress Signature
- First Announcement
- Letter of Invitation by COC