Activities and events
No upcoming meetings found for Task Force on Strengthening Mediterranean Nursery Systems for Forest Reproductive Material Procurement to Adapt to the Effects of Climate Change.
The Task Force wishes to appeal to mobilize the necessary expertise to support the implementation of the TF strategy. This will be achieved by the plan following below, in the framework of the different tasks and after working groups of experts will be created at the start of the TF thanks to short video-conferences:
- Mining and recovering of information and descriptors from existing tools and databases (e.g. Euforgen / Eufgis, Cost FP1202, Treebreedex, Trees4Future, B4est, GENTREE ... Months 1-6).
- Preparing the database template including current indicators and descriptors as well as the new ones relevant to describe marginality, risks and possibly adaptive value (Months 1-6);
- Member states review their lists/registers of national basic forest materials and upload the information on the prepared template (months 1-12);
- Preparing a map of the regions with present and future climate scenarios where seed stands from the GIS database are located and harmonized with respect to the descriptors and indicators developed from different networks and the already existing databases (month 1-12);
- Sub-task webinars and videoconferences organization.
- Testing EUFGIS and Nordic countries tools (months 1-18).
- First task meeting in Rome at FAO, (month 8).
- Promoting, transferring, testing and/or adapting already existing models of decision-making tools and guidelines for a sustainable conservation FRM management in the Mediterranean area (i.e. EUFGIS, Trees4future or Transfer function such as https://www.skogskunskap.se/rakna-med-verktyg/foryngring/plantval-tall/ in Scandinavian countries) (months 1-18).
- Continuation of the register development and of the predicted species distribution ranges under different climate change scenarios (months 12-18).
- Producing guidelines for good practices to preserve biodiversity and genetic variation through the nursery system (months 12 - 24)
- Producing guidelines to integrate and compile the register of FRMs on this topic (FAO and CREA can help to print online these outputs), together with promoting scientific papers on the Task Force topic (months 18-24 + 6 if necessary).
- Producing an opinion paper of the TF (month 13 – 24 (+6 if needed),
- Producing a policy brief for wider dissemination among stakeholders (months 13-20)
- Final meeting on main outputs and possible issues of the Task Force (during FAO COFO or Mediterranean Weeks) (months 22-23).
- Sub-task webinars and videoconferences organization (periodical).
Meetings. Two main meetings will be organized as required in the TF call. To save money and time they will be organized in the framework of FAO activities as COFO and Silva Mediterranea where most of stakeholders and scientists can be supported for their attendance by the member states. In these frameworks, side events, seminars and working parties can be organized. These meetings can give the opportunity to networking people from similar climatic regions in the Western USA, Chile, Ethiopia, South Africa, Caucasus, Pakistan and Western Australia to establish interaction with the TF.
Periodically, sub-task leaders can organize webinars and video conferences to coordinate and to share activities and information.