IUFRO News Vol. 45, Issue 5, May 2016
The conference "From Perception to Prediction and Action: Managing Risk in Uncertain Times" held in Freiburg, Germany, on 21-23 April 2016 brought together leading scientists from 18 countries to discuss:
- the risks posed to the forest resource by our changing climate
- natural disturbances (including insects, pathogens, fire, extreme weather)
- post-disturbance (natural and anthropogenic) silvics
- species range and biodiversity (including invasive organisms)
- how these risks are perceived and predicted in the forest science and management community
Nature and Culture was the theme of the 2016 World Wood Day (WWD) held March 21, 2016 in Kathmandu, Nepal, organized by both the Ministry of Forests and Soil Conservation of Nepal and the International Wood Culture Society (IWCS), with the sponsorship of the World Wood Day Foundation. That theme increased awareness of wood as an eco-friendly renewable biomaterial and demonstrated the key role of wood in a sustainable future. IUFRO was represented by Andrew Wong and Howard Rosen from Division 5.
Also see the call for session proposals for IUFRO's 2017 Anniversary Congress and the call for bids for hosting the IUFRO World Congress in 2024, and much more!
To read the full text please choose among the PDF and Word options: