Science for Policy
Forests and transformative pathways to sustainability - IUFRO-WFSE Side Event at HLPF 9 July 2020
This side event discussed the role of forests and forestry in transformative change, the levers of change across complex systems and ways to accelerate the progress towards sustainability. Special focus was devoted to equity, gender and governance. The event also illustrated the large potential for synergies among the SDG targets that focus on sustainable land and resource use and the importance of policy and regulatory environment and capacities that support and incentivize sustainable forest-related livelihoods and development.
- Opening of the event and welcome Dr. Glenn Galloway, University of Florida
- Opening remarks Jukka Salovaara, Ambassador, Permanent Representative, Permanent Mission of Finland to the United Nations
- Forests and forestry in transformational change Prof. Wil de Jong, Kyoto University
- From forest-specific sustainability to wider transformative change: Levers of change across complex systems Dr. Pablo Pacheco, World Wildlife Fund
- Advancing commitments to leave no one behind: Focus on equity, gender, governance Dr. Bimbika Sijabati Basnett, Center for International Forestry Research Associate
- Forests and SDGs: Building on synergies for transformative change Dr. Pia Katila, Natural Resources Institute Finland
The recording of the event can be watched at https://youtu.be/39L_ucV7Fsc.
The event was organized by IUFRO WFSE, WWF, Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland and Natural Resources Institute Finland.