Publications and references
TF Joint IUFRO-IFSA Task Force on Forest Education
Over one fifth of Africa is covered by forests which provide a wide range of ecological, social and economic benefits to over two thirds of the continent’s population. The scope of forestry and the role of foresters has diversified over the years. Nevertheless, the interest among young people in pursuing forestry as a profession does not match the importance of forestry. This can be attributed to the lack of awareness about the profession and inadequate information on what the discipline could offer in terms of future career opportunities, and job prospects. The Young African Forestry Professionals Publication Project (YAFP) was created in 2020 to help address some of these challenges.
A year later since the commencement of the project, the output is finally out, a book titled "Building a successful forestry career in Africa: inspirational stories and opportunities." The book was launched on 12 August 2021 in a virtual event organized by the Joint IUFRO-IFSA Task Force on Forest Education (JTF) and the International Forestry Students’ Association (IFSA).
- IFSA Newsletter - IUFRO Special Issue
- Progress Report for 2020
- Annual Report 2019
- Report for IUFRO Board Meeting 2019
- Annual Report 2018
- Owuor, J.A. and Rodríguez-Piñeros, S., (2021): Best practices in forest education in Europe from the global best practices competition. In: Schmidt, P., Lewark, S. and Weber, N., (Eds.): Twenty years after the Bologna declaration –Challenges for higher forestry education. SILVA Publications 17, Dresden. PDF for download. Pre-publication published online at https://ica-silva.eu/
- Guía de Emprendimiento Forestal / Forest Entrepreneurship Guide; 7 October 2020
Watch video of launch: https://www.facebook.com/emprendedorforestal/videos/688811261986229
Download Guía: https://www.iufro.org/fileadmin/material/science/task-forces/tf-forest-education/Guia-Emprendimiento-Forestal.pdf
Downlaod Guide in English (2021): https://www.iufro.org/fileadmin/material/science/task-forces/tf-forest-education/guide_to_forestry-based_entrepreneurship.pdf
- Rodríguez-Piñeros, S., Walji, K., Rekola, M., Owuor, J., Lehto, A., Tutu, S., & Giessen, L. (2020). Innovations in forest education: Insights from the best practices global competition. Forest Policy and Economics(118). PDF for download. Retrieved from https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1389934120302033?dgcid=coauthor