Publications and references
Proceedings - Other recommendations - Newsletters - Links to other information resources
Proceedings and findings of the various editions of the EUFORIC/IUFRO European Forum on Urban Forestry (EFUF) are available from www.efuf.org
- 22nd European Forum on Urban Forestry - Urban Forests: Full of Energy; Cologne, Germany; 22-25 May 2019. Book of Abstracts
- Davies C (2005) Summary of proceedings. Urban forests – a different trademark for cities and forestry. 8th European Forum on Urban Forestry, 10-12 May 2005, Celje, Slovenia. Available from: www.vbv.be/efuf/_docs/proceedings_efuf2005.pdf
- Hostnik R (ed) (2005) Urban forests – a different trademark for cities and forestry. Book of Summaries of the 8th European Forum on Urban Forestry, 10-12 May 2005, Celje, Slovenia. For downloading of the document, click: Proceedings
- Konijnendijk, C.C., Schipperijn, J. and Hoyer, K.K. (eds.) 2004. Forestry serving urbanised societies. Selected papers from the conference held in Copenhagen, Denmark, 27 to 30 August 2002. IUFRO World Series Volume 14. IUFRO, Vienna. For further information see: www.iufro.org/publications/series/world-series/article/2004/01/01/forestry-serving-urbanised-societies/
- De Vreese, R., Bonsen, K.J.M., Borgman, G., van Alfen, B., Van Rooijen, J.P.A. & Borgman, M.(2004). Educating the Urban Foresters. Proceedings of the 6th European Forum on Urban Forestry, Arnhem (The Netherlands), May 21st – 23rd, 2003. University of Professional Education Larenstein, Velp (The Netherlands).
For downloading of the document, click: www.vbv.be/efuf/ProceedingsEFUF6.PDF
- Konijnendijk, C.C. and Hoyer, K.K. 2002. Forestry serving urbanised societies. Abstract book. IUFRO European Regional Conference, in collaboration with EFI, Copenhagen, August 27-30, 2002. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening Supplement (2002).
- Sievänen, T., Konijnendijk, C.C., Langner, L. and Nilsson, K. (eds.) 2001. Assessing the social values of forests. Proceedings of IUFRO Research Groups 6.01, 6.11.04 and 6.14 sessions In the XXI IUFRO World Congress 2000, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Finnish Forest Research Institute, Vantaa.
- Konijnendijk, C.C. and Flemish Forest Organisation (ed.) 2001. Communicating and financing urban forests. Proceedings of the 2nd and 3rd IUFRO European Forum on Urban Forestry, Aarhus (May 1999) and Budapest (May 2000). Flemish Forest Organisation et al., Brussels.
- Randrup, T.B. and Konijnendijk, C.C. (eds.) 2000. Selected papers from the Urban Greening and Landscape Architecture research symposium. The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 23-25, 1999. Special issue, Landscape & Urban Planning. Landscape and Urban Planning 52(2-3).
- Randrup, T.B. (ed.) 1999. Proceedings from the Urban Greening and Landscape Architecture research symposium. The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 23-25, 1999. Danish Forest and Landscape Research Institute, Hoersholm.
- Krott, M. and K. Nilsson (eds.) 1998. Multiple-use of town forests in international comparison. Proceedings of the first European Forum on Urban Forestry, Wuppertal, May 1998. IUFRO/ Förderverein Station Natur und Umwelt, Wuppertal.
Urban Forest Sustainability.
International Society of Arboriculture, Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Zhu Hua Ning (Department of Urban Forestry and Natural Resources, College of Agricultural, Family, and Consumer Sciences, Southern University and A&M College System, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.)
David J. Nowak (Northern Research Station, USDA Forest Service, Syracuse, New York, U.S.)
Gary Watson (Morton Arboretum, Lisle, Illinois, U.S.)
Available at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByzOAOVNrGCdLWR6ZXVBWDl1Nms/view
Air pollution removal by urban forests in Canada and its effect on air quality and human health. David J. Nowak, Satoshi Hirabayashi, Marlene Doyle, Mark McGovern, Jon Pasher. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, Volume 29, January 2018, Pages 40-48. doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2017.10.019
Urban trees perform a number of ecosystem services including air pollution removal, carbon sequestration, cooling air temperatures and providing aesthetic beauty to the urban landscape. Trees remove air pollution by intercepting particulate matter on plant surfaces and absorbing gaseous pollutants through the leaf stomata. Computer simulations with local environmental data reveal that trees in 86 Canadian cities removed 16,500 tonnes (t) of air pollution in 2010 (range: 7500–21,100 t), with human health effects valued at 227.2 million Canadian dollars (range: $52.5–402.6 million). Annual pollution removal varied among cities and ranged up to 1740 t in Vancouver, British Columbia. Overall health impacts included the avoidance of 30 incidences of human mortality (range: 7–54) and 22,000 incidences of acute respiratory symptoms (range: 7900–31,100) across these cities.
Available at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1618866717302182
Routledge Handbook of Urban Forestry. Edited by Francesco Ferrini, Cecil C. Konijnendijk van den Bosch, Alessio Fini. © 2017 – Routledge. 548 pages | 177 B/W Illus.
More than half the world's population now lives in cities. Creating sustainable, healthy and aesthetic urban environments is therefore a major policy goal and research agenda. This comprehensive handbook provides a global overview of the state of the art and science of urban forestry.
Available from https://www.routledge.com/Routledge-Handbook-of-Urban-Forestry/Ferrini-Bosch-Fini/p/book/9781138647282
Forest policies and social change in England (by Sylvie Nail) uses England as a case study to explore the relationships between forests, society and public perceptions, raising important questions about forest policy and management both now and in the future. The book includes chapters about the emergence and role of community and urban forestry in England.
For more information, see: http://www.springer.com/life+sci/forestry/book/978-1-4020-8364-8
The Forest and the City: The cultural landscape of urban woodland (by Cecil Konijnendijk) discusses the relationship between cities and their forests over time, focusing on socio-cultural links. Chapters look, for example, at the spiritual and health links between urban dwellers and local forests, city forests as wild side of town and settings for art, and the role of city forests in community building. For more information about this book, see http://www.springer.com/life+sci/forestry/book/978-1-4020-8370-9?detailsPage=toc
Urban Agriculture Magazine
Urban Agriculture Magazine (UAM) is a publication that facilitates the sharing of information on the impacts of urban agriculture. Moreover, it promotes analysis and debate on critical issues for development of the sector, and publishes 'good practices' in urban agriculture. For information on how to subscribe to this magazine, which is published twice a year, visit: http://www.ruaf.org/
Cities Farming for the Future - Urban agriculture for green and productive cities
This book, published by the RUAF Foundation, presents the state of art in the development of sustainable urban agriculture, including aspects of urban forestry. For information on how to order this book, visit http://www.iirr.org/ or send an e-mail to bookstore(at)iirr.org.
(January 2008 Urban Forestry Update)
The Research Group distributes information about urban forestry events, publications, projects, job opportunities and so forth by email newsletter.
To sign up for the e-mail list, please contact the Coordinator at cck(at)life.ku.dk.
Latest issue: July 2015 (link to be announced)
The newsletters are also available online:
- July 2015 - January 2015
- November 2014 - October 2014 - February 2014 - January 2014
- March 2013 - February 2013
- August 2011 - May 2011 - April 2011 - January 2011
- November 2010 - August 2010 - March 2010 - January 2010
- December 2009 - September/October 2009 - July 2009 - June 2009 - May 2009 - March 2009 - February 2009
- September 2008 - August 2008 - June 2008 - May 2008 - April 2008 - March 2008
- December 2007 - August 2007 - January 2007
- IUFRO-UNRI Urban Forestry Research: a Cooperative Vision for Urban Forestry Science and Exploration: http://unri.org/iufro/
- IUFRO Urban Forestry Directory: http://www.itreetools.org/iufro/
- EUFORIC/IUFRO European Forum on Urban Forestry: www.efuf.org
- European Urban Forestry Research and Information Centre (EUFORIC): www.sl.kvl.dk/euforic
- FAO website on urban forestry: http://km.fao.org/urbanforestry/ New!
- FAO Forestry, Trees Outside Forests: www.fao.org/forestry/tof
- International Society of Arboriculture: www.isa-arbor.org/
- IUFRO 6.01.00 – Forest recreation, landscape and nature conservation: www.iufro.org/science/divisions/division-6/60000/60100/
- Resource Centre on Urban Agriculture and Forestry: www.ruaf.org/
- TreeLink: www.treelink.org/
- University of Minnesota Urban Forestry Bibliography Database: http://forestry.lib.umn.edu/bib/urban.phtml
- Urban Forestry & Urban Greening (scientific journal): www.elsevier.de/ufug